Department: Automotive Service
Job Status: Full Time
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Reports To: General Manager
Provides effective leadership to, and management of, the assigned operating units (e.g., Service Department, Detail Shop, etc.) to maximize the utilization, productivity, and profitability of the assigned units; while maintaining a high degree of customer satisfaction and a positive work environment. Develops short and long-term sales and service objectives and goals; and applicable measurement and monitoring activities that support the achievement of the desired level of employee productivity and departmental performance. Ensures vehicle repair and service practices/activities are strategically aligned (e.g., relationship focused and oriented toward targeted profitability levels) and appropriately controlled. Focuses upon growing vehicle service volumes; adopting effective management practices; developing a highly effective team of Technicians, Service Advisors, and Service Support Staff; and improving customer retention and lifecycle profitability. Ensures that the dealership consistently meets manufacturer’s warranty performance expectations, and maintains adequate record keeping of service records.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential Functions Statement(s)
- Plans and directs the activities of the assigned areas in accordance with the policies, goals, expenditure authorities, and desired culture (i.e., results-driven, values-based sales and service culture). Holds weekly departmental team meetings in connection with ensuring departmental sales and service performance is achieved and operating improvements are made.
- Monitors and analyzes key indicators, operating trends, expenses, effective labor rate, repair order trends, open repair orders, services and dollars per repair order, service advisor sales, warranty performance, manufacturer/factory communications, etc.; and makes appropriate adjustments in operations/personnel as needed to meet departmental performance objectives.
- Ensures the hiring, training, and development of a highly effective service team, and departmental management team members. Promotes open communication and appropriate information dissemination that ensures assigned staff are adequately informed and empowered to make high quality decisions.
- Ensures assigned areas meet or exceed projected sales volumes, productivity standards, quality standards, profitability levels, and customer satisfaction goals (e.g., CSI in the top 10%) as established in consultation with the Senior Management Team.
- Stays abreast of market conditions and manufacturer developments/promotions that affect assigned areas and the entire Korum Automotive Group. Identifies market opportunities for enhanced service department performance and provides recommendations for appropriate marketing initiatives/promotions, advertising, merchandising, customer prospecting, and pricing.
- Assures proper repair order flow to satisfy warranty/dealership/business office requirements.
- Ensures that customer inconveniences, complaints, and misunderstandings are dealt with fairly and quickly.
- Hires and maintains a team of Technicians that can perform all types of mechanical repair and maintenance work on the products that the dealership sells. Provides technical assistance to employees as needed.
- Understands and adheres to all federal, state and local regulations that affect service operations, such as consumer protection, hazardous waste disposal, OSHA right-to-know, etc.
- Ensures that service department employees follow safety policies and practices and that they report any and all accidents immediately. Provides and documents ongoing safety refresher training for the Service Department.
- Conducts periodic self-inspection for hazardous wastes and materials assessment within the Service Department and recommend and document actions needed and actions taken.
- Establishes and maintains departmental employees’ compensation levels and compensation plans consistent with the direction established by senior management. Ensures all Service Department employees’ performance evaluations, coaching/counseling activities, and development practices are effective and well documented.
- Ensures that the work areas and customer waiting area are kept clean. Maintains a high level of shop cleanliness, equipment repair, and general shop appearance.
- Organizes and maintains the proper use of the Service Department’s designated parking areas.
- Develops and maintains ethical and professional relationships with manufacturers and key vendors/service providers to generate added value to Korum Automotive Group.
- Ensures that adequate internal controls exist and are functioning appropriately within assigned areas and that adherence to corporate policies/procedures, documentation standards, and regulatory requirements (i.e., federal, state, local) is achieved.
- Projects a positive attitude by working effectively in a spirit of cooperation with other employees to achieve common goals/objectives.
- Supports and encourages a results-driven, values-based, sales and service culture throughout the organization.
- Exercises an appropriate level of courtesy, tact, and professional communications in dealing with others (e.g., customers, co-workers, and vendors).
- Contributes to a favorable public image of Korum Automotive Group by establishing and maintaining professional relationships and participation in the community (e.g., with civic, non-profit, and industry organizations).
- Contributes toward effective team problem solving with other employees and management (“don’t do business alone”).
- Consistently demonstrates corporate values; encourages and coaches other to consistently demonstrate corporate values and meet performance expectation.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with Korum Automotive Group’s policies and applicable laws. Supervisory responsibilities include, but are not limited to: interviewing, hiring, training, and coaching employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance at corporately established regular intervals; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing employee complaints and associated problems.
High School Graduate or General Education Degree (GED).
Previous Service Manager experience or five or more years of related experience required.
Must be able to learn/use all applicable software programs used by the dealership.
Factory certifications, and possess strong working knowledge of vehicle mechanical operations.
Must have a valid driver's license, and an acceptable driving record.
Must maintain a professional personal appearance (and wear dealership approved uniform, if required).
|N (Not Applicable)||Activity is not applicable to this occupation.|
|O (Occasionally)||Occupation requires this activity up to 33% of the time (0 - 2.5+ hrs/day)|
|F (Frequently)||Occupation requires this activity from 33% - 66% of the time (2.5 - 5.5+ hrs/day)|
|C (Constantly)||Occupation requires this activity more than 66% of the time (5.5+ hrs/day)|
Other Physical Requirements
Vision (Near, Distance, Color, Peripheral, Depth Perception)
The work of the Service Manager position is performed in both an office environment and in the repair shop, and may require time outdoors.
This opening is closed and is no longer accepting applications